The Victorinox Explorer is a standard 91mm model with four tool layers, and is one of the few smaller knives to contain the magnifying glass. The inline-Phillips screwdriver is also a very popular feature of this model.
The Explorer was also available in a Plus variation, the Explorer Plus which added the 'Plus' scales and tools.
- Large blade
- Small blade
- In-line Phillips screwdriver
- Magnifying glass
- Can-opener with screwdriver
- Cap-lifter with screwdriver
Back Layer Tools
- Eyeglass/jewelers screwdriver - Plus model only
- Multipurpose hook - versions after 1991
- Reamer / Awl with a sewing eye
Plus model adds:
Available with red or black Cellidor scales other colours are also available.
The magnifying glass became available in 1973, when the extra layer was added to the Champion, it is understood that the Explorer model also became available in that year. The original models contained the first grey plastic version of the magnifying glass, later models having the subsequent versions - see the magnifying glass page for details. Early versions of the Explorer have been seen with the 'Victoria' tang stamp and a clip-point blade, the tool versions of the Explorer were updated as the Victorinox tools evolved.
- The BSA (Boy Scouts of America) branded version has been available for many years. Early versions feature the BSA logo in a metal inlay, whilst newer models have a hot-stamped logo. The BSA Explorer is available with red or black Cellidor scales. See also: Yeoman
- The Explorer Plus has Plus-scales, which contain additional tools: A removable pen and a straight pin. The Plus model also adds the mini/jewelers-screwdriver to the corkscrew. This Explorer Plus is also available in a BSA edition, with the BSA logo on the scales.
- The Carl Elsener Sr. Explorer is the 2013 Damascus Limited Edition knife. Released in December of 2013 in some countries, and first quarter of 2014 in North America. This model features a Damasteel stainless steel Damascus main-blade, and natural oak handles on which Carl Elsener's signature is laser engraved. This edition was limited to 7000 models (520 knives available to North America), a serial number is stamped on the liner behind the corkscrew. This is the fourth model (second 91mm), to be offered in the Limited Edition Damascus series.
- The Christmas Special Edition for 2017 was a beautiful white-scaled Explorer with embossed snowflakes on the scales.
- The Swiss Spirit Special Edition for 2020 has white Cellidor scales decorated with several hand-sketched, iconic, Swiss national symbols such as the Alps, cheese, chocolate, watches and the Swiss Army Knife!
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 20.7mm; 20.9mm - Plus model
- Weight: 101g - Regular model + jewelers screwdriver; 106g - Plus model
- 1.6703: Red Cellidor scales (53791)
- 1.6705: Red Cellidor plus scales (53792)
- 1.6705.3: Black Cellidor plus scales (53793)
- 1.6701.J13: Damascus Limited Edition 2013
- 1.6703.77: 2017 Christmas Edition
- 1.6705.7L20: 2020 Swiss Spirit Special Edition
US Model Numbers in brackets and below
- 55781 / BSA#01252: Explorer Plus; Boy Scouts of America Edition