The RangerGrip handles were introduced in 2009 and various RangerGrip models were added to this family.
The similar three-layer Ranger 56 family features a Phillips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew.
Discontinued - But these configurations are still available as Victorinox Delémonts
Scout Ranger 55
- Main blade
- Plain-edged - Ranger 55
- One-handed plain-edged - Ranger 79
- Partially serrated - Ranger 155
- One-handed partially serrated - Ranger 179
- Wood saw
Back Layer Tools
Original models had black nylon scales, contoured in the Evolution (Evo) style to fit the hand. Deep checkering is molded into the thumb area on both sides. One side carries the Wenger cross logo, with 'WENGER' molded into the scales. The cross logo icon is a push button, which, when depressed, releases the liner-lock on the knife blade. They are only available in black, except for the World Scout series which featured purple/violet scales.
The later RangerGrip models have rubber inserts in the handle and Evo contours to allow a soft and reliable grip in all weather conditions. The rubber inserts in the scales were black, the cellidor components were available in red, yellow and olive drab (OD). Most models had one or two color/scale options.
- The standard RangerGrip cellidor colour was red, of course! See this RangerGrip 79
- The RangerGrip 179 was available with OD colored grip scales
- The RangerWood 55 features Swiss walnut wooden scales, with shallow evo contours. RangerWoods are the 130mm sized versions of the EvoWood 85mm scales
- The Ranger 55 was available with AP Blaze - orange camo scales
- The Ranger 79 was available with AP Snow - white camo scales
Model 55 variations
- Scout Ranger 55 is a member of the World Scout series.
- In February 2012 Wenger introduced the RangerWood series (or EvoWoods), the RangerWood 55 brought Swiss Walnut EvoWood scales to the range
- In 2012 - AP Blaze florescent orange anti-camo scales were introduced
- Various blade and scale options. See Tools and Scales above.
- The RangerGrip 179 Patagonian Expedition Race Model was released in the March 2010, to commemorate and support the annual Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race. This model features a laser engraving of the race logo on the rubber scale inserts. Other smaller models were also released in support of the the race.
- The RangerGrip 179 Patrouille des Glaciers model was released as a part of the series in the 2011 for the 2012 biennial Patrouille des Glaciers Race. This model features a lettering 'PATROUILLE DES GLACIERS' and the race logo on the main blade.
The models 55 and 155 were introduced with the initial 130mm Ranger series in 2007, which was known, at the time, as the New Ranger Series. These models were originally considered part of the 120mm series knives, but are now classified as 130mm which is closer to their actual frame size, once the full handle length (with key-ring) is included. It separated them from the Original Ranger series, which are classified as 120mm models.
The RangerGrip series was first released in the spring of 2009, after being shown at the Shot Show a few months earlier.
- Length: 130mm
- 161g - EVO;
- 160g - EvoWood
- 1.077.055.000: Ranger 55 (17755)
- 1.077.092.027: Scout Ranger 55 (16503)
- 1.077.055.804: Model 55 with AP Blaze scales (16843)
- 1.077.055.xxx: RangerWood 55, Evowood walnut scales (16379)
- 1.077.055.803: Model 55 with RealTree ‘Hardwoods’ scales & two-handed plain-edge knife blade (19853)
- 1.077.079.806: Model 79 with AP Snow scales & one-handed plain-edge knife blade
- 1.077.079.821: Model 79 red/black scales & one-handed plain-edge knife blade
- 1.077.079.827: Model 79 orange/black scales & one-handed plain-edge knife blade
- 1.077.155.821.X: Model 155 regular serrated blade with red and black RangerGrip scales
- 1.077.155.821: Model 155 with red and black RangerGrip scales & two-handed serrated blade
- 1.077.179.823: Model 179 OD Scales
US Model Numbers in brackets
- Ranger 56 Series - A Phillips screwdriver replaces the corkscrew
- Delémont RangerGrip 55 Family - Victorinox Delémont versions of these models