The current version is the second configuration of the MiniChamp - (See History and Tools below).
The Midnite MiniChamp model replaces the tweezers with a small white LED light.
The MiniChamp XL is an older less common model adding the small divot tool and the older nailfile to the MiniChamp. The MiniChamp XL is no longer available.
- Pen blade
- Emergency blade - A precision Wharncliff blade
- Cut-and-picker blade - for pharmaceutical bottles - Also works as an orange peeler/package opener
- Screwdriver / Ruler
- Cuticle pusher - Mini spatula
- Nail-file - With nail-cleaner tip
- Cap-Lifter / Combo tool - Includes a small Phillips screwdriver and a wire stripper/bender
- Not present in the original version
The MiniChamp XL adds:
- Replaced by a white LED light in the Midnight MiniChamp
- Retractable pen
- The pen is removeable in the early MiniChamp IIs (uncommon)
- The pen is replaced by the toothpick in the original MiniChamp
Also see Models below
The light is operated by pressing the Victorinox shield, which is a momentary switch in the Midnight version
Usually red Cellidor. Also available in various other Cellidor and Alox colours - See Variations and Identifiers below
The current version of the MiniChamp was introduced in 1994 (US availability).
It was preceded by an earlier version that was one layer thinner, omitting the Cap-lifter / Combo tool, and with a toothpick instead of the pen in the scales. The current MiniChamp was originally known as the MiniChamp II and the first version became known as the MiniChamp I. These names have now disappeared and this model is just known as the MiniChamp. In the earliest versions of the MiniChamp II, the pen was removeable - See the Signature page for details.
The MiniChamp XL is even larger than the MiniChamp, adding the small divot tool and the older type of nailfile (with the file cut into the metal). However the XL is still classified as a five layer SAK! - See layer definitions here. Robert Elsener of Victorinox reported (June 2008): "The MiniChamp XL was produced between 1999 and 2002, and sold until 2005."
The Midnite MiniChamp (known as the MiniChamp Lite in some markets) adds a small flashlight to the scales replacing the tweezers. Prior to 2010 or so its LED light was red after that it was white.
- The Alox MiniChamp was first manufactured in early 2011 for reseller Swiss Bianco. The knives featured the standard silver Alox scales with a red Victorinox shield. Later silver, red and black Alox scaled MiniChamps became generally available. But currently (2017) only silver is available. The Alox scales do not allow the tweezers and retractable pen tools to be included.
- Over the years Swiss Bianco commissioned various colours (red, dark green, blue) and quantities (some limited) of Alox MiniChamps. The Sunset Orange colour (August 2012) had not been used before, however several other models were produced at the same time with this new color. In January 2013 a copper anodized MiniChamp was comissioned, again several other copper Alox models with red Victorinox shields were produced at this time.
- Length: 58mm
- Width: 14.6mm
- Weight: 44.5g
- Width: 10.15mm
- Weight: 39.5g
- Width: 16.3mm
- 0.6343: MiniChamp I, red scales - Original MiniChamp (53971)
- 0.6385: MiniChamp II, red scales (53973)
- 0.6385.XL: MiniChamp XL
- 0.6386: Midnite MiniChamp (MiniChamp Lite), red scales (53972: red LED; 53976: white LED)
- 0.6386.T: Midnite MiniChamp, Translucent ruby scales (53977: white LED)
- 0.6386.T2: Midnite MiniChamp, Translucent sapphire scales (53979: white LED)
US model numbers in brackets