Like the Victorinox Classic Swiss Army Knife, this 'packaging' also serves as an effective advertising medium, with a large surface area on which logos and (promotional) text can be printed - As an item a person might keep with them, and make use of, this appeals to advertisers.
Photo Gallery Images
Originally known as simply the SwissCard, it was later renamed the SwissCard Classic, to distinguish it from the new models that were introduced. Originally there was a sliding door over the scissors, to which a protractor was later added. The sliding door was eventually removed, and in the current models the scissors are extracted via a dimple in the shell.
- Nail File with Screwdriver Tip
- Protractor - only on earlier translucent models, located on the back of the rotating door.
Tools 1-5 are common to all SwissCards except the Nailcare, which swaps the blade
A small variation of the Classic : The nail file is replaced with a money clip.
Another small variation on the Classic : A visor clip, which is used to attach the SwissCard to a car visor, again replaces the nail file.
The SwissCard Quattro introduced a unique, flat, four-way screwdriver, that replaces the scissors in the Classic Swisscard.
The Quattro Tool * (which still features in the Swisscards Lite and Nailcare) has the following screwdriver heads:
- Phillips #0
- Phillips #1-2
- 3mm flathead
- 5mm flathead
The SwissCard Lite replaces the nail file and toothpick from the Classic with a magnifying glass, LED and the Quattro four-headed screwdriver.
The SwissCard Nailcare is a SwissCard targeted at personal care introduced in 2015.
The blade has been replaced with a glass file. The cut out for the new file is smaller than those in the other versions.
The Classic nailfile/screwdriver has been replaced by the Quattro screwdriver and the magnifying glass is also added, giving it a very similar toolset to the SwissCard Lite.
- Resistant glass nail file
- Magnifying Glass
- Quattro Screwdriver *
Unlike any of the other materials used by Victorinox for knife scales, the SwissCard is made from ABS (Acrylnitril-Butadien-Styrol) plastic.
- Numerous colours are available including translucent models. Colors have changed over time, the solid colors produced were gray, red, and black although the solid colors seem to have gone out of production. The translucent colors have included ruby, sapphire, emerald, purple, onyx, and most recently ice blue (Nailcare only). The purple and emerald models have fallen out of production
- The SwissCard is very frequently used for promotional purposes and there are very many promotional variations of the SwissCard
- The Dr. SwissCard was a promotional variation targeted at pharmaceutical companies (not available to the general public?), where an EKG fine ruler was added to the nailfile, and the tweezers were replaced with some tiny EKG calipers (see ruler image). These tools are used to measure the distance between peaks on an electrocardiogram (EKG).
- In 2009, a special 125th Anniversary SwissCard Classic was released as part of the Jubilee Series to commemorate Victorinox's 125th Anniversary (US Model: 54409). Packaged in a special 125th Anniversary box it also included a small weekend wallet that holds a couple credit cards and includes a mirror.
- The original SwissCard was introduced in 1997 and was followed by several variations in the next few years
- The Quattro and MoneyClip models were introduced in 2000
- The Visor model was introduced in 2001
- The SwissCard Lite was introduced in 2003
- In 2004 the SwissCard Lite won the prestigious 'Best of the Best' Red Dot Design Award for product design.
- In 2008 the rotary slide scissor door/protractor was removed - Apparently to improve the solidity of the card
- In 2009 the red LEDs on the SwissCard Lite were replaced by white LEDs
- As of (at least) 2015 (catalogue for that year) the Quattro, MoneyClip and Visor models are no longer available
- In 2015 the Nailcare was added to the line up and won the Red Dot award for product design
- Length: 82mm / 3 1/4"
- Width: 54mm / 2 1/8"
- Thickness: 4mm / 3/16"
- Weight: 25.6g / 0.9oz