This tool configuration has been manufactured in different forms and sizes for a several decades.
Historically, a similar tool configuration used the Woodsman name.
- Large Knife Blade
- Small Knife Blade
- Cap-Lifter/Large slotted screw-driver - with wire-bender
- Can Opener/Small-slotted screw-driver - that also works with Phillips screws
Back Layer Tools
Red and black Cellidor scales are fairly standard, with ruby, sapphire, and Silver Tech recently being offered as well. Camouflage scales are also available in either Shadow Grass or New Breakup patterns. Available sometimes in the US with Stayglow scales that have been added as a modification, or the knife was imported. As with most models other colors may be available from time to time or in specific markets.
- The Archer is an authentic Stag scaled version that does not include the toothpick or tweezers in the scales. This name might be regional, it first appeared in a Canadian distributors catalog in1980.
- The Rainier version replaces the main blade with a paritially serrated blade (60%), with the serrations starting at the tang. The Rainier was one of a series of knives named after famous mountains. see also: McKinley, Matterhorn.
- BSA Huntsman - Wood Badge (SABI# 1130) Sold in the USA by the distributor Swiss Army Brands Inc. This model has black scales and a Boy Scout's gold Woods Badge Emblem centered on the top scale. The corkscrew is replaced with a Phillips screwdriver.
- BSA Huntsman (US Model 55201) has a Boy Scouts of America (BSA) logo on the handles and replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver. It is really a Fieldmaster based on the included tools, but Victorinox chose to call it a Huntsman. Possibly it could have been a naming mistake that did not get noticed in time!
- Huntsman Plus (US Model 53261) adds Plus Scales with removable pen and straight pin, and includes the mini-screwdriver.
- The Traveller-Set is a Huntsman Plus packaged with a pouch, Maglight flashlight and small multipurpose tool containing a compass, thermometer, ruler, magnifying glass and spirit level. The naming of this set is rather confusing and it should not be confused with the Traveller which is a completely different model!
- A special collector's black scaled Eidgenossenschaft 700 Year Commemorative knife was manufactured in 1991. This special knife was marketed in the domestic market and features a special wooden presentation box. Eidgenossenschaft is a German word for the historical Swiss Confederacy, made with the Oath of 1291 which united the areas of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden, and is now seen as the charter or birth of the confederacy which evolved into the current Switzerland.
- A red scaled Confoederatio Helvetica 700 Year Commemorative Huntsman was also produced in 1991 to commemorate the Oath in the Field of 1291. This knife appears more common than the black scaled Eidgenossenschaft model, and was also marketed outside of the domestic market. Other models were also produced to commemorate the 700 year anniversary.
- VSAKCS Huntsman is the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Collectors Society 2010 club knife. It features translucent Silver-Tech scales with a club badge printed on top in a red rectangle, and the main blade is etched Jahr 2010.
- In 2011 a Hardwood Scaled Huntsman was released. This is a light colored hardwood, the same as has been available on the SwissChamp model for a while. This may be a limited offering, and appears to only be available in North America.
- In 2011 Victorinox produced the Huntsman Bubinga limited edition for the French market. These knives feature wooden scales made of Bubinga from Gabon, include a leather pouch, a certificate of authenticity, and are packaged in a presentation box. This special offering is limited to 1000 knives and each knife is numbered with an etching on the main blade nnnn/1000. The wooden scales are darker than the Bubinga hardwood used on some other models to date.
- The Horseshoe Nail Knife is a limited edition from the 2011 Christopher Ræburn AW11 - Capsule Collection created for Victorinox. For this special collection Christopher recycled existing materials into fashion and accessory items. The knife features unique scales made from vintage horseshoe nails melted down and hammered, giving a subtle uniqueness to each knife. The packaging of the knife also uses recycled material. It was presented in the reclaimed original paper box for the nails with inserts made of wool from military blankets. Limited to just 100 knives, each knife has a serial number stamped on the liner behind the corkscrew and the collection slogan 'Remade in Switzerland / Christopher Ræburn for Victorinox' etched on the blade in two lines. These scales do not include the toothpick or tweezers. This variation is significantly heavier than the regular Huntsman and weighs 166g. Model Number: 1.3711.L11 / 2196_ONE.
- Walnut and Beli wood scaled versions were introduced in Italy in 2012.
- A special version with added chisel can sometimes be seen welded on a stainless steel post as a display piece in European knife stores. These knives have unsharpened blades and all tools have an extra stop for fanning out the tools in a certain way.
Being in production for a number of decades, the Huntsman has undergone quite a few changes over the years. Very early models with the same basic tool configuration can be found with the exposed riveted construction, and the original Awl, and later, the Long Nail File on the back.
Over the years changes to the saw, corkscrew, scissors, have all appeared. Prior to 1991 the Huntsman, like other models, did not include the multipurpose hook.
The Woodsman was a much earlier model with the same basic toolset, but omiting the toothpick and tweezers and also the long nail file which were all installed on the Huntsman at that time. (Note: The name 'Woodsman' has been used for several different configurations).
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 19.6mm (Stag version: 22mm)
- Weight: 97g (Stag version: 109g)
- 53201 US Model: Red Cellidor scales
- 53203 US Model: Black Cellidor scales
- 53205 US Model: Ruby Cellidor scales
- 53206 US Model: Sapphire Cellidor scales
- 53261 US Model: Huntsman Plus Red Celidor.
- 53221 US Model: Red Cellidor, Rainier version with serrated blade
- 53497 US Model: Camo Shadow Grass Cellidor scales
- 53498 US Model: Camo New Breakup Cellidor scales
- 53713 US Model: Hardwood scales, 2011 release
- 54755 US Model: Silver Tech scales
- 1.3713 Victorinox AN: Red Cellidor
- 1.3713.3 Victorinox AN: Back Cellidor scales
- 1.3711.66 Victorinox AN: Authentic Stag scales, no toothpick or tweezers; Archer
- 1.3711.L11 Victorinox AN: Horseshoe Nail Knife 2011 LE, no toothpick or tweezers
- 1.3713.61 Victorinox AN: Mother-of-Pearl scales, silver tipped tweezers
- 1.3713.94 Victorinox AN: Camouflage scales
- 1.3713.BU Victorinox AN: Bubinga Wood scales
- 3.3713 Victorinox AN: Ecoline Red Nylon scales
- 3.3713.808 Victorinox AN: Switzerland Market - Stayglow scales
- 3.3713.MIKE Victorinox AN: Switzerland Market - Red Cellidor with Edelweiss (produced for a dep. store in Switzerland)
- Fieldmaster - Replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver
- Deluxe Climber - Replaces the wood saw with pliers
- Mountaineer - Replaces the wood saw with a metal saw/file.
- Climber - One layer thinner, no saw
- Camper - One layer thinner, no scissors.
- Huntsman Lite - Adds an extra layer with LED light and inline Phillips Screwdriver
- Ranger - One thin layer wider, adds the metal saw, fine screwdriver, and chisel