All of the blades and tools fold from the outside of the handles, allowing quick and easy tool deployment without opening the pliers. This arrangement also helps make for a more comfortable feel in the hand when using the pliers.
The Spirit is somewhat smaller than the earlier released SwissTool models. The most significant differences are the greatly reduced weight, and the curved ergonomic handles.Two other very distinctive, and unusual, features of the Swisstool Spirit are:
- The blunt tipped, serrated sheepsfoot blade sometimes referred to as the as the 'butter knife' . This was a departure for Victorinox from the normal drop-point blades seen in nearly all their other tools.
- The Spirit scissors which also have a completely different design from the regular Victorinox scissors.
The Spirit has ten blades/tools - five in each handle - many with more than one function. All of the blades lock open securely, and all are tensioned by means of the same style individual backsprings as first seen on the SwissTool.
These tools are common to all Spirit models:
- Wood saw
- Awl with hook at base
- Cap lifter / 6mm screwdriver / Crate opener / Wire bender notch
- Chisel / Scraper / Wire strippers / Wire cutter
- Metal file / Metal saw
- Can opener / 3mm screwdriver (Flat/Phillips)
- Phillips screwdriver (No 1,2)
- Small long screwdriver (2mm)
Two additional tools (one in each handle) are added by the various models described below.
The basis for the Spirit is a set of needle nose pliers. The plier jaws have fine serrations out near the tips, coarse serrations in the center, and both hard-wire and soft-wire cutting notches near the pivot. Some models are available with a cap crimper in the pliers.
The models listed below add the tools indicated to the common tools listed above.
The names Swisstool Spirit I, II and III also appear to have been used at sometime. There also seem to have been some model name changes.
These model names come from the Victorinox catalogue 2015.
The Spirit is usually packaged with a Nylon or leather case/belt pouch ('.N' or '.L' suffix to the model number respectively).
This model was probably initially known as the 'Swisstool Spirit' - or the 'original ' or 'standard ' model - See top photo.
However the Victorinox catalogue (2015) calls the model below (the 'Spirit S') the Swisstool Spirit and this one the 'XC ' !!
- Sheepsfoot serrated blade (or butter blade)
- Sheepsfoot serrated blade
- Regular drop-point blade
This model appears to be withdrawn (2017)
- Regular drop-point blade
- Regular drop-point blade
This model became available in late 2016 and features Victorinox's blackened, burnished steel, which has a deep lustre (compared to Leatherman's black oxide) and, according to Victorinox, provides for better protection against corrosion.
This model is available with (3.0224.3CN) and without (3.0224.xxx) the cap crimper in the pliers.
It is a different variation from the earlier black Spirit - 3.0224.3CCH.
The Spirit is available with two 'Plus Packages' , which include the following stand-alone tools: a corkscrew; a jeweler's (micro) screwdriver; a set of six 1/4" hex bits in a plastic holder; and either, an L-shaped wrench, or, a small ratchet.
The corkscrew attaches to the Spirit by means of a small contoured hole in the plier bracket.
The two current (2017) Plus Packages upgrade the XC model.
- Spirit XC Plus (3.0238.L) – Includes the bit-wrench; bits and holder; corkscrew; eyeglass screwdriver
- Spirit XC Plus Ratchet (3.0239.L) – Includes the small ratchet wrench plus extension bar; bits and holder; corkscrew; eyeglass screwdriver
The handles are curved, highly polished stainless steel, with special coating on some versions.
The Victorinox logo and the full word are stamped on both sides.
- The Spirit Railroad has the same tool configuration as the standard (original), but includes branding for the Swiss Federal Railway on the handles (SBB-CFF-FFS).
- The Spirit-S Black-Oxide version was released in 2007, with a black coating on all tools and handles.
- The Spirit-X BO CC has become an official tool of the Swiss Army and others. This version comes with a black oxidized finish, and a special blasting-cap-crimper in the nose of the pliers. It was first seen with a green Swiss Army sheath, but other case options also exist.
- The Spirit-RT was released in 2010, a member of the Road Tour collection, it features the same tools as the Spirit-X, but has special black 'Polispectral ' coated handles, and a Your Companion for Life logo/etching on the main blade. The Spirit-RT was packaged with a special textured black (faux) leather pouch. The Spartan PS, released in 2017, saw the use of this coating once more on the tools of this knife. About this coating, Victorinox now mentions on their website: "A special coating that looks different depending on how the light hits it, ranging from dark gray to anthracite, with a unique shimmering and mirror-smooth surface finish".
The Spirit was originally introduced in 2004. The Spirit S came out two years later in 2006. The Spirit X became readily available in North America in 2009. The models available have changed slightly over the years, and there has been some re-naming of the models - See Models section above.
The first leather carrying pouch for the Spirit Plus could only accommodate either the corkscrew/mini-screwdriver or the ratchet extension bar, but not both. Victorinox later released a new larger leather pouch, with the same part-number (4.0832.L), that could accommodate both the ratchet extension and the corkscrew attachment.
- Length: 106.6mm
- Width: 14mm - across tools
- Height: 35.25mm - including tool protrusions at extremes
- Weight: 210g; 368g with tool, full bit-wrench kit and its Victorinox leather case
- 3.0227: Spirit standard model
- 3.0223: Spirit S
- 3.0224: Spirit X
- 3.0224.3CCH: Spirit X with black-oxide coated with basting-cap crimper in the pliers
- 3.0224.3CN: Spirit X with burnished steel and a basting-cap crimper in the pliers
- 3.0224.L10: Spirit RT - A Spirit X with black anodized handles, black leather case
- 3.0238.L: Spirit XC Plus - with bit-wrench, corkscrew, mini screwdriver, bits
- 3.0239.L: Spirit XC Plus Ratchet - with ratchet, corkscrew, mini screwdriver, bits
US Model Numbers:
- 53800: Spirit - Includes leather case
- 53809: Spirit S - Includes leather case
- 53815: Spirit S - Black oxidized version - includes leather case
- 53814: Spirit X
- 53819: Spirit X BO CC (cap-crimper) with ratchet kit and brown leather pouch
- 53922: Spirit RT - A Spirit X with black anodized handles, black leather case
- SwissTool - Somewhat larger with a different handle style, but sharing many traits with the Spirit