Whilst the Solo does not have any of the typical Swiss Army Knife tools, it is an extremely robust knife that is easy to maintain. It can be carried on its own, but is also well suited to be paired with another Swiss Army Knife as a backup or second blade, or as a larger blade when paired with a smaller model with more tools.
Name disambiguation - There is also a 108mm model named the Solo.
Silver checkered Alox.
The original model featured red Alox scales with the Swiss Cross, in common with other models in the Pioneer/93mm line, at the time.
The history of the horizontal symmetric vs. asymmetric blade profile is puzzling. Both original red Swiss Cross scales, and later manufactured knives have been found with both blade profiles. Which blade is used seems to be fairly random!
In 2018 Victorinox started selling this model under the name Swiss Army 1.
- The horizontal blade profile can be either symmetric or asymmetric. Asymmetric blades are used on most 93mm models so that the reamer can be placed in the same layer beside the main-blade.
- In 2010 a black Alox Solo was produced with a special blade etching and the following text Confoederatio Hevetica on the bottom scale. According to information from a Switzerland based seller this was a limited run of sixty knives.
- In 2011 the South Africa dealer/distributor Sharp Edge contracted for several different colored anodized Solo models (see image below). The different colours produced were red, black, blue, green, and orange. All these feature the current scales with the silver Victorinox shield. The green is a dark Hunter-Green, the red is a deep maroon, and the orange is a bright tangerine (some colours also available in regular production models). All the knives appear to feature the symmetric blade profile.
- In June 2013 Victorinox produced a special edition of numbered gold models with n/50 *2013* etched on the blade.
- In late 2013 Victorinox produced what would probably be the last special edition numbered 93mm alox models, the Kingfisher. It came with blue and orange scales, silver shield, a picture of the kingfisher bird on the engraving panel, and the blade engraved n/100. A similar Pioneer model was also issued at the same time.
- Length: 93mm
- Width: 8.9mm
- Weight: 44.8g
- 0.8000.20: Original red Alox version with the silver Swiss Cross logo
- 0.8000.26: Silver Alox with silver/red Victorinox shield (53950: US Model number)
Special Runs – All with the Victorinox shield
- 0.8000.20R: Red
- 0.8000.22R: Blue
- 0.8000.23R: Black
- 0.8000.24R: Green
- 0.8000.79R: Orange