The knife was designed and developed as part of a 5 year project, in cooperation with medical and rescue service professionals in Switzerland. The knife was very well received and won the IWA International Knife Award - Knife of the Year - in 2007.
The Rescue Tool broke new ground for Victorinox by including user-replaceable metal tools. For most other models only the Tweezers and Toothpick tools were removable/replaceable. However the special Disc-saw and Window-Breaker tools in the Rescue Tool can be removed and replaced, when they become worn out, without the need for any special tools.
The knife is normally sold with a Nylon red and yellow case.
- Locking one-handed partially serrated knife blade
- User-replaceable 'Disc'-Saw - For cutting through windscreen glass once it has been shattered
- Seat Belt-Cutter
- User-replaceable Window-Breaker
- Locking Cap-Lifter - With 6mm screwdriver/pry-bar
The original model came with Nylon luminescent (glow in the dark) grip scales. In 2009 it also became available with black Nylon scales.
- A non one-handed version is available with a standard blade replacing the one-handed blade.
- In 2008 Victorinox released a black handled version.
- Victorinox has also released a black handled version with a plain, straight edge, primarily for the European market.
- The shape of the hole on the one-handed opening blade is evolving. A more circular shape appears on some knives.
- A version with an additional regular wood saw and the rear part serrated main blade was developed for the Italian police.
- In 2018 was released a blue handled version for the gendarmerie of San Marino.
The 'new' liner lock system in this model was developed to address the more demanding requirement of the public service agencies in rescue situations.
The Rescue Tool was awarded the IWA International Knife Award ″Knife of the Year″ in 2007.
In 2008 a number of fake Rescue Tools started appearing on ebay. To the untrained eye the outward appearance of these knives was very convincing. The build quality however was poor and they could pose a safety hazard. Refer to the External Links section below for more information.
- Length: 111mm - 122mm including Belt-Cutter and Window-Breaker protrusions
- Width: 20.9mm
- Weight: 167g (Victorinox reports 180g) / 205g - With stock Nylon case
- 0.8623.MWN - OH serrated blade
- 0.8623.M808P - OH serrated blade, an additional wood saw; a version developed for the Italian police.
- 0.8623.N - Regular plain blade
- 53900 - US Model: Stayglow scales
- 54900 - US Model: Black Nylon scales, black pouch.
- V-0.FA015 - OH serrated blade, blue scales; a version developed for the gendarmerie of San Marino.
- Victorinox 111mm Linerlock Comparison
- Fireman - Earlier model with emergency/belt-cutter blade, no specialized tools
- OH Parachutist - OH main blade, and regular belt cutter blade, no specialized tools
- Dual Pro - OH main blade, and OH belt cutter blade, no specialized tools
- Trekker - Removes special rescue tools, and adds wood-saw and Can-Opener/Screwdriver tools