This model was designed and developed as part of a five year project, in cooperation with medical and rescue service professionals in Switzerland. The knife was very well received and won the IWA International Knife Award - Knife of the Year - in 2007.
The Rescue Tool broke new ground for Victorinox by including user-replaceable metal tools. For most other models only the tweezers and toothpick are removable/replaceable. However, the special glass saw and window breaker tools in the Rescue Tool can be replaced when they become worn out, without the need for any special tools.
This model is normally sold with a Nylon red and yellow case.
- Locking, one-handed, partially-serrated main blade
- Glass saw - for cutting through shatterproof car windscreen glass - once it has been broken - User-replaceable
- Seatbelt cutting safety blade
- Window-breaker - Occupies the spot normally taken by the can-opener - User-replaceable
- Locking 7mm screwdriver/pry-bar - with a cap-lifter
The original Rescue Tool came with Nylon luminescent (glow in the dark) scales. In 2008 it also became available with black Nylon scales.
- A non-one-handed version is available with a standard blade replacing the one-handed blade.
- In 2008 Victorinox released a black handled version, with the regular one-handed partially serrated blade. Note this version was supplied with a black sheath, not the regular yellow one.
- Victorinox has also released a black handled version with a plain, straight edge, primarily for the European market.
- A version with an additional regular wood saw and a rear part serrated main blade was developed for the Italian Police.
- In 2018 a blue handled version for the Gendarmerie of San Marino was released.
- In 2019 a Limited Edition (1,200 pcs) set with I.N.O.X. Carbon watch was released.
The 'new' liner lock system in this model was developed to address the more demanding requirement of the public service agencies in rescue situations and is tested to be stronger and even more reliable than the slide-lock mechanism (see details in link). The liner-lock blade is also one-handed-opening (OHO), the hole on the blade was originally elliptical, on later models it is more circular.
The Rescue Tool was awarded the IWA International Knife Award Knife of the Year in 2007.
In 2008 a number of fake Rescue Tools started appearing on eBay. To the untrained eye the outward appearance of these knives was extremely convincing. The build quality however was poor, and they could pose a safety hazard. Refer to the External Links section below for more information.
- Length: 111mm - 122mm including the belt-cutter and window-breaker protrusions
- Width: 20.9mm
- Weight: 167g (Victorinox reports 180g) / 205g - With Nylon case
- 0.8623.MWN: OH serrated blade (53900)
- 0.8623.MW3: Black scales, OH serrated blade, black sheath (54900)
- 0.8623.M808P: OH serrated blade, an additional wood saw. The version developed for the Italian Police
- 0.8623.N: Regular plain blade
- V-0.FA015: OH serrated blade, blue scales. The version developed for the Gendarmerie of San Marino
US model numbers in brackets
- Fireman - An earlier model with an emergency/belt-cutter blade; regular wood saw; no specialised tools
- OH Parachutist - OH main blade; regular belt-cutter blade; no specialised tools
- Dual Pro - OH main blade; OH belt-cutter blade; no specialized tools
- Trailmaster/Trekker - Removes the special rescue tools; adds the wood-saw and can-opener/screwdriver tool