This model introduced a new tool to the Swiss Army Knife: the Cheese Blade, and came with custom scales. The original blade had etching on both sides, the reverse side advertising switzerland-cheese.com, the obverse had the model name etched in four languages.
Initially this model was only available via promotions from SCM, but later a regular model with standard features became generally available. The cheese blade later appeared in a variation of this knife and one additional model.
See Scales, History, Models and Variations below.
The model was originally manufactured by Victorinox using their 111mm frame with a slide-locking main blade. As part of Victorinox's re-structuring of their 111mm range in 2017, the standard Cheese Knife was converted to be liner-locking.
In 2019 SCM brought out Version 2.0 of this model and later that year Victorinox brought out their standard version 2.0 the Cheese Master - See Version 2.0 below.
Original Two-Layer Models:
Prior to 2017 the main blade was slide-locking
The scales on the original promotional version were unique to this model.
They were red Nylon with a large white Swiss cross logo in the centre.
The shade of red was brighter than the regular models, the lock release button was red.
The generally available model had regular slide-lock scales with the normal shield and grey button.
Also see Models and Variations below.
The Victorinox Käsemesser was first introduced in 2010 as a part of a marketing campaign by Switzerland Cheese Marketing (SCM) AG. Its design and introduction was a collaboration between SCM AG and Victorinox. This was the first new slide-lock based model introduced for several years - new models tended to be liner-locking at that time.
The initial marketing campaign involved customers obtaining the knife through the mail for 20 CHF and 5 Swiss cheese proof-of-purchase seals. The knife was delivered with some unique custom packaging (see section below), also a booklet on Swiss cheese was included. SCM had sole marketing rights for the knife for three years.
It was reported in February 2011 that SCM had already sold the complete initial run of 30,000 knives, and was in the process of procuring another shipment. Victorinox stated that this knife may be available from their Victorinox Flagship Stores, but, due to the exclusive marketing agreement with SCM, would not be generally available.
- 2010: The original Käsemesser from SCM/Victorinox (...retired).
- 2012: Victorinox manufactured a deluxe Limited Edition of the Käsemesser with handmade horn-scales with a white inlaid Swiss cross composed of Galalith (milk- stone), and a liner-locking main blade. Only 1200 were produced and each knife was numbered (nnnn) on the liner behind the corkscrew. They came in special gift packaging with an information booklet and distribution was limited through the Switzerland Cheese Marketing Group, Switzerland, and the greater Swiss market (...retired).
- 2012: A special-edition Bubinga hardwood scales Cheese-Knife with three tool-layers was released. See: Hardwood Cheese Knife (...retired).
- 2013: The regular version of the Käsemesser, the Victorinox Cheese Knife became generally available, but with standard red Nylon scales with the grey lock-release button, the regular silver outlined Victorinox shield and the tweezers. It did not include the special scales or packaging of the original SCM version. (It is possible this version was initially released as a Special Edition in the US (Model: 80833) , Australia, and a few other markets) (...retired).
- 2017: The regular Cheese Knife is converted from a slide-locking to liner-locking model, when Victorinox ceased production of slide-locking models.
- 2019: Version 2.0 of the Käsemesser from SCM/Victorinox featuring the fondue fork - See Version 2.0 below.
- 2019: (later) Victorinox released their own regular Version 2.0 - the Cheese Master (0.8313.W). It is similar to SCM's Version 2.0 Cheese Knife, but has standard red scratch-resistant Nylon scales with the Victorinox shield printed on the front-side scale, the scales have both the toothpick and tweezers, there is no etching on the blade.
In 2019 SCM brought out Version 2.0 of this knife.
- Once again introducing a brand new tool to the Swiss Army Knife - This time the fondue fork!
It also featured the following characteristics:
- The same main tool set as the original but ....
- Adding the fondue fork
- Liner-locking, partially-serrated main blade
- The main blade is etched with the web addresses of the SCM German, French, Italian and English websites
- Same top scale as the original with the large white Swiss Cross (and no tweezers - as per version one)
- Toothpick on the bottom scale
The SCM model is only available for purchase through SCM in Switzerland. However the Cheese Master is generally available.
Original Slide-lock Model:
- Length: 111mm
- Width: 15.8mm
- Weight: 75.8g
- 0.8833.R: Original slide-locking version, regular red Nylon scales (US Model Number (VSA): 80833 -Standard packaging)
- 0.8833.62: Horn scales
- 0.8303.W: Cheese Knife - Two layers, liner-locking version, red Nylon scales
- 0.8313.W: Cheese Master - Three layers, liner-locking, red Nylon scales
- Hardwood Cheese Knife - Three layer model, adds standard openers layer and hardwood scales
- Picnicker - Cheese blade replaced with openers layer, adds reamer
- Alpineer - Single-layer knife removing the cheese blade
The English language website etched on the blade of the original version (www.switzerland-cheese.com) does not exist anymore, however switzerland-cheese.ch in French, German and Italian re-directs the user to the current websites and www.cheesesfromswitzerland.com appears to be the current SCM website, and the corresponding French, German and Italian also exist.
SCM Backgroud (Machine Translation)
Switzerland Cheese Marketing (SCM) AG is a non-profit organization that offers its services in the area of Marketing Communications to the market participants in the Swiss cheese industry. It operates a synergetic, effective and efficient consumer marketing for Swiss cheese. Headquartered in Bern, SCM operates in Switzerland and in the key export markets of Italy, France, Germany, Spain and the Benelux countries where it has offices and specialist teams. By combining the strengths of all industry players and, thanks to thorough market knowledge and local presence, the team experienced a significant positive contribution to the promotion of Swiss cheese. SCM is involved as a neutral and information dissemination site for the entire cheese industry.
Original German Language Press Release - letzte Aktualisierung am 03.06.10 um 11:54 Uhr
Switzerland Cheese Marketing startet 2010 mit einer neuen Werbekampagne für Schweizer Käse im Inland (Schweiz). Ziel: Die Konsumenten sollen vermehrt auf die Herkunft Schweiz achten, wenn sie an der Käsetheke oder vor dem Kühlregal stehen und Käse kaufen. Gattungswerbung für Schweizer Käse muss sich einerseits von der Sortenwerbung klar abheben und darf andererseits natürlich keine Einzelmarke bevorzugen, schreibt die verantwortliche Agentur Neue Lgk dazu in einer Pressemitteilung.
Das schafft nur eine Idee, ein Bild, ein Symbol, eine Geschichte, die stellvertretend für alle Käsearten funktioniert. Ein guter Grund, endlich das Schweizer Käsemesser zu erfinden. Denn das Schweizer Messer gibt es mit über hundert verschiedenen Klingen. Aber bisher hatte es eben keine Käseklinge. Das wird sich demnächst ändern. Im September kommt im Rahmen der neuen Werbekampagne das Schweizer Messer mit einer speziellen Käseklinge auf den Markt. In allen neuen TV-Spots wird das neuartige Schweizer Käsemesser gezeigt und dabei über den Schweizer Käse, seine Qualitäten, seine Herstellung, seine Traditionen, seine Natürlichkeit gesprochen. Mehr Infos: http://www.persoenlich.com/news/show_news.cfm?newsid=88812 Der Beitrag wurde am 03.06.10 um 13:30 Uhr bearbeitet.
English Language Machine Translation - Last updated on 03:06:10 at 11:54 clock
Switzerland Cheese Marketing starts 2010 with a new advertising campaign for Swiss cheese in Switzerland (Switzerland). Target: Consumers will increasingly look for the origin of Switzerland when they are at the cheese counter or in front of the refrigerated section and shirts. Generic advertising of Swiss cheese has to be a part of the variety of advertising and must stand out clearly on the other hand, of course, do not favor any single brand, the responsible agency New LGK writes in a press release.
This creates only an idea, an image, a symbol, a story that works on behalf of all cheeses. A good reason to reinvent the last Swiss cheese knife. Because it is the Swiss Army Knife with over a hundred different blades. But so far it had just no cheese blade. That will change soon. In September, comes as part of the new advertising campaign, the Swiss cheese knife with a special blade on the market. In all new TV commercials, the new Swiss cheese knife will be shown and discussed here about the Swiss cheese, its qualities, its production, its traditions, its naturalness. More info: http://www.persoenlich.com/news/show_news.cfm?newsid=88812 This entry was edited on 03:06:10 at 13:30 clock.