Name disambiguation: There is also a 111mm Hunter that features a locking blade.
- Large blade
- Gutting blade - Serrated or non-serrated
- Wood saw with can/bottle opener and screwdriver
The 108mm saw had a reputation as one of the best wood saws, although tests conducted by MTo members have questioned this.
Back Layer Tools
The Hunter and other 108mm knives do not have any non-blade tools such as the typical toothpick and tweezers.
This is typical of the military knives, but rare for the civilian knives.
- Authentic stag, this model is believed to be the first version issued, maybe as a type of market test, and appears to be very rare.
- Imitation stag antler - This is the most common material used for the scales.
- Red Nylon
- Olive drab Nylon
The color of the red Nylon scales appears in two shades, a darker deep red, and a much brighter red. Some knives may have different shades of red on each side of the knife.
- An Authentic Stag Hunter was produced in very limited number, possibly 500 units or less.
- The gutting blade was originally non-serrated, but there are versions that have a serrated edge.
- A rare variation of the Hunter is the Fireman, (see image above) - not to be confused with 111mm models of the same name. It was manufactured between 1994 and 1998 and has red Nylon scales adorned with a Fireman's logo (see image below). The gutting-blade has a serrated edge (rescue/belt-cutter blade). The estimated production volumes are understood to be only around 2380 units. Some of these models were produced with a bail and, according to Victorinox, did not have a unique article number.
- The Zurich Fireman, (an unofficial name), was reported to be a very limited run (~1000 units) of red scaled Hunter models with a bail.
- In 2008, Roger Remund (SwissBianco - +B), modified the Hunter by removing the saw and replacing it with a clip-point blade, thus making this a three-blade knife: spear-point; serrated rescue/gutting; clip-point. He removed the reamer but left the corkscrew. Altogether twenty-eight of these models were assembled.
- Other variations are reported to exist, more info is required.
All the Victorinox 108mm knives are related to the original GAK, which was the first 108mm knife that was manufactured to a specification, and under contract, for the German Army.
- Length: 108mm
- Width: 18mm - (Nylon scales)
- Weight: 111g - (Nylon scales)
- 0.8780: Red Nylon scales (5425)
- 0.8780.04: Olive green scales
- 0.8780.06: Imitation stag scales (5430)
- 0.8780.66: Genuine stag scales
US (SABI) model numbers in brackets
- Mauser - Gutting blade, replaced with clip-point blade, olive drab Nylon scales.
- Safari Trooper - No gutting blade, Nylon scales
SAAM'S: Victorinox 108mm Series Overview