There was a variation with a corkscrew instead of the backspring Phillips.
An earlier version of this model was known as the Mariner.
- Large blade with slide-lock and serrated or partially serrated blade
- Shackle opener with marlin spike
- Cap-lifter with large screwdriver
- Can-opener with small screwdriver
Blue Nylon with compass rose print, contains a grey slider lock release button for the main blade.
Red handles variations also available.
Several variations were available for these models.
- The Helmsman was available, as standard, with a partially serrated blade, which Victorinox refers to as wavy. The partially serrated blade is serrated approximately ¾ of the length starting at the tip, giving a 60mm serrated edge, and a 19.5mm straight edge.
- The Helmsman CS (possibly not official name - CS=corkscrew?) had a 100% serrated blade.
- The Mariner was the original name for this model, it had the same tools but red nylon scales without any screen printing. This name was in use alongside the Helmsman, especially outside of North America.
- The Mariner was also available with a fully serrated blade (see image below).
- A Mariner with a corkscrew on the back, rather than the Phillips screwdriver, was also available. Model number appears to be 53662 (boxed packaging), unknown yet if other variations used the same model number. Some were boxed with model number 50662.
The variations with red handles are reasonably uncommon and prized by collectors.
The Helmsman has been discontinued for several years (since late 200x? – tbc). Presumably due to overlap in functionality with the Skipper.
- Length: 111mm
- Width: 17.8mm
- Weight: 104.7g
- 0.8993.2W: Standard Helmsman - ¾ wavy blade, blue scales
US Model Numbers:
- 53664: Helmsman - Partially serrated, blue scales
- 50662: Helmsman CS fully serrated wavy main blade
- 53662: Mariner - Red scales, fully serrated, with corkscrew instead of Phillips
- Skipper - Adds pliers layer with in-line Phillips screwdriver, replaces the backspring Phillips with a corkscrew
- Skipper Pro - Replaces the shackle opener with the large marlin spike; OHO blade; no Phillips driver