- Large Blade
- Marlin spike
- Wood Saw
- Pruning Blade
- Cap Lifter/Bottle-opener w/screwdriver.
- Keyring - not present on all versions
The original First Mate has red Alox scales, with the Silver Cross emblem instead of the current Victorinox logo. Some silver Alox scales with the red Victorinox shield were used much later for a relatively small number of knives. See variations below for some special collector editions in other colors.
- A silver alox version with red Victorinox shield was manufactured, probably, just before this model was discontinued.
- Somewhat unexpected, but in March 2011 Victorinox manufactured a not one, but two, short special-runs of the First Mate for collectors.
- The first one features very Dark Blue anodizing on old-style advertising scales with a silver Swiss cross, andFirst Mate printed in white in the advertising panel. All the tools, and springs in the knife are back-oxide coated, including the marlin spike, and the main blade is stamped with a serial number from the series (n/50). The liners are shades of grey-blue, brown, or mixture. The special run was limited to 50 knives. The model was part of the 2011 Blue Marlin spike Series.
- The second one features Olive Green anodizing on 2011 contemporary style Alox scales featuring a silver Victorinox shield (no advertising panel top or bottom), and black-oxide coated tools and springs. Like the first-one, the liners could be grey-blue, brown, or mixture. The main blade is stamped with an individual serial number from the series (n/50), and the production was limited to 50 knives. The anodizing is slightly darker than some other models that were made in olive green.
The ribbed red Alox model (0.8160.20) with old cross emblem on scale was in production from 1986-1999. Before 1980 it had the model number 2216. Early 2216 models had ELINOX tang stamps, and some even had bail.
In 2009 a small stash of red Alox models were found NIB and sold. At the same time some silver Alox models were made available, it is quite possible they were assembled from spare parts. These ones are more rare than the red Alox models. According to email communications with Victorinox, only between 550 and 600 of the sliver First Mate knives were build between 2005 and 2008. This would make them quite rare relative to other models.
- Length: 93mm
- Width: 14.6mm
- Weight: 89.6g
- 2216 Victorinox: Vintage model number prior to 1980, Red Alox Scales
- 0.8160.20 Victorinox: Red Alox - No keyring attachment
- 0.8161.20 Victorinox: Red Alox - Includes keyring attachment
- 0.8160.26 Victorinox: Silver Alox scales with new emblem, no keyring, probably the last SAK model with the marlinspike.
- Midshipman - The can opener instead of the pruner blade
- Pioneer Harvester - The reamer replaces marlinspike
- Long Rancher - No woodsaw, limited special edition
- Pioneer 2223 / Sea Pioneer - The can-opener replaces small pruner blade, no woodsaw
- Sailor - One less layer, no bottle opener or pruner blade
- Seaman - Single layer, no bottle opener or pruner blade, no saw
- First Mage - A magic wand instead of the marlinspike