The Fireman was intended for rescue workers and is an ancestor of the Rescue Tool.
It was also available with a one-handed (OH) opening main blade, known as the One-Handed Fireman (OHF).
The Fireman was previously a slide-locking model.
Both versions are shown in the picture right (the liner-lock version has red scales).
Name disambiguation: There is a rare, older 108mm model, also known as the Fireman.
The Fireman models are retired.
- Large blade - that is liner-locking
- Emergency belt cutter blade – with a safety tip
- Wood saw
- Cap-lifter - liner-locking
The original model had a slide-locking main blade, and the cap-lifter was not locking.
Back Layer Tools
- Reamer/Awl - WIth a sewing-eye only in slide-lock version
- Keyring/Split-ring attachment point
Victorinox 111mm models were usually available in red for the slide-lock models and black for the liner-lock models.
The Fireman ‘flipped the norm’, with the slide-lock model being available in black and the liner-lock model being available in red!
- One-Handed (OH) Fireman. This version has a liner-locking blade with a serrated edge that can be opened with one hand. The OH Fireman was only available with black scales.
- The OH Fireman Black Blade features a black-oxide coated main blade (see image below).
- In January 2010 some copies of the OH Fireman started appearing with a plain-edged main blade (OHF-PE), however the US model number for the knife remained the same (54868).
The Fireman has an interesting history!
It was one of the original slide-lock models, that was converted to be liner-locking in the early 2000s (tbc), yet retained the same name. Usually when Victorinox produced liner-lock and slide-lock models with equivalent toolsets, they had different names eg Forester / Rucksack etc. It was the first and only model to go through such a conversion, until 2017 when Victorinox ceased production of slide-lock 111mm models, revised the product line, and converted several slide-lock models to liner-lock.
Also see notes on scales above.
The slide-lock model is relatively rare and it is possible it was exclusively a promotional model (premiums market) made specifically for Cryk Inc., a US company in the premiums marketing business.
The Fireman is an ancestor of the Rescue Tool, with both models being available for a few years. However the Fireman was retired in the late 2000s (tbc), presumably as there was too much overlap with the Rescue Tool’s functionality.
Weight: 149g / 155g (OH version)
- 0.8383: Liner lock, red scales, regular plain edge main blade (54866)
- 0.8383.3: Liner lock, black scales, regular plain edge main blade
US Model Numbers: (also in brackets above)
- 54865: Slide Lock, black Nylon scales
- 54867: Slide Lock, black Nylon scales (seems to be the same as 54865)
- 54868: Liner lock, black scales, one handed model, serrated edge main blade (see variations, plain edge also)
- 55868: Liner lock, black scales, one handed, black-oxide coated main blade''
- Jumpmaster - Replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver
- Rescue Tool - A more recent model designed by and for rescue workers, with several differences
- Forester - Removes the belt cutter blade
- Trekker - Serrated main blade; removes the belt cutter blade and corkscrew; adds a Phillips driver
- Dual Pro - Newer model: Dual density scales, locking one-handed belt cutter blade (different design), OH blade; removes the wood saw, toothpick and tweezers
Victorinox 111mm Slide-lock Model Comparison – Original versions
Victorinox 111mm Liner-lock Model Comparison – Original versions
- Fireman 108mm - A rare variation of the 108mm Hunter is also known as the Fireman.