It contains a large number of functions for its relatively small size.
The Compact is typically available with either red or black Cellidor 'Plus' scales. Other colours may also be available, possibly as custom configurations, or from certain dealers.
The VSAKCS 2009 Annual Club Knife version of the Compact had hardwood scales with a laser engraved shield and dedication. The scales did not contain the straight-pin or the ballpoint pen.
The direct ancestor of the modern Compact appears to have been the smaller 84mm Golfer, (the first model to bear the name 'Golfer'), which had the same features as the Compact, except for the hook and 'Plus' features such as the pen, pin and mini-screwdriver.
In 1987 the Golfer evolved into a 91mm model and a pen and mini-screwdriver were added.
The family tree split in 1991 into two distinct offshoots, both of which sported the multipurpose hook. One model continued to use the name Golfer, however the divot repair tool replaced the Combo Tool. This model unfortunately is now retired. The other model was the very first Compact which retained the features of the previous Golfer but added the hook and a straight pin. The nail-file would be added to the hook sometime later.
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 15mm
- Weight: 64.5g
- 1.3405 Red Cellidor (54941)
- 1.3405.3 Black Cellidor (54943)
US model numbers in brackets
Similar two-layer models with scissors: (All discontinued)
- Timekeeper - Same main toolset; an analogue clock replaces the tweezers in the scale; may not have nail-file on the hook; officially discontinued in 2008
- Golfer - Early variants had the same toolset; later ones replaced the combo tool with the divot tool
- DofE Pocket Tool - A Phillips screwdriver replaces the corkscrew; standard scales (but with DoE logo); rounded main blade; only available in some markets
Other Related Models:
- Climber - Similar capabilities - one layer thicker; the Combo Tool is replaced by a small blade and separate openers; adds the reamer; no plus features or nail-file on the hook
- Spartan - Same width; removes the scissors, hook, combo tool, plus features; adds a small blade, reamer and openers
- Trail Guide - Adds a metal saw/file
- Yeoman - Adds a magnifying glass and Phillips screwdriver; no nail-file on the hook
- Scientist - Replaces the scissors and hook with a magnifying glass and Phillips screwdriver
- Waiter Plus - Removes the scissors
- Bantam - A smaller 84mm model with only one layer that contains the Combo Tool and a large blade