This knife is the direct predecessor of the modern Mountaineer.
The photo shows a newer version with the multi-purpose hook and keyring, which is not typically included.
- Large Blade
- Small Blade
- Metal Saw - File
- Scissors - missing on the smaller Grand Prix version
- Can Opener with Small Screwdriver Tip
- Bottle Opener with Large Screwdriver and Wire Stripper
- Phillips Screwdriver - older models are of the Square Shaft variety
- Multi - Purpose Hook - found on newer models only (with no fine screwdriver)
- Fine Screwdriver - found on the older models only (with no hook)
- Reamer - Awl
Standard red Cellidor scales with a metal inlay of an antique automobile.
- Old Tool versions are quite numerous. An older version has the early fine-screwdriver (2.5mm) on the back of the Metal Saw/File layer, and does not include the hook on the back of the Scissors layer. No Keyring versions are available with the square and round shank Phillips. The can-key is available on both square and round shank Phillips versions.
- Typically does not include the keyring, but there are versions that do.
- The version with the fine screwdriver (2.5 mm) on the reverse has been reported as US Model 54040.
Note: Two boxed Grand Prix knives mint from Victorinox labeled model 54040, did not have the fine-screwdriver, or the hook, they did have the round Phillips with can-key. These were NOS and could have been mislabeled as it appears they were not in their correct original boxes, or this item number may not be a precise indication of the tool configuration that has changed over time. Interesting also is that they did not include a keyring.
- The VSAKCS 2006 Anniversary Club Knife is a special version with the same basic tools, but was labeled an Astronaut. It features a Space Shuttle inlay the top scale, a special metal panel on the bottom scale engraved with “Victorinox Swiss Army Knives Collectors Society”, and a newer Stainless Steel metal-saw/file which does not exist on standard Grand Prix models. This special version also included a keyring.
The specific model 1.4743.73 was manufactured between 1980 and 1995 according to Victorinox.
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 19.7mm
101.5g (vintage model: no-keyring, no hook, no fine-screwdriver),
104g (vintage model: no-keyring, no hook, with fine-screwdriver),
105.5g (later model: with keyring and hook).
- 1.4743.73 Victorinox AN: - later model with hook, no fine-screwdriver, and keyring.
- 1.4752.73 Victorinox AN: - earlier version with no hook, first backside fine-screwdriver, and can-key tool in square Phillips.
- 54040 US Model: older model see: Variations
- Mountaineer - Replaces the Phillips screwdriver with a corkscrew.
- Automobile Special - No scissors, includes antique auto inlay.
- Clipper - No scissors, corkscrew replaces Phillips.
- Automobile - No scissors, inline fine technician’s screwdriver replaces small blade.
- Fieldmaster - Replaces the metal saw with a wood saw.
- Master Craftsman - Adds the wood saw.